The proud and the humble.

Gospel Reflection

Jesus and his disciples left from there and began a journey through Galilee, but he did not wish anyone to know about it. He was teaching his disciples and telling them, "The Son of Man is to be handed over to men and they will kill him, and three days after his death the Son of Man will rise." But they did not understand the saying, and they were afraid to question him.

They came to Capernaum and, once inside the house, he began to ask them, "What were you arguing about on the way?" But they remained silent. For they had been discussing among themselves on the way who was the greatest. Then he sat down, called the Twelve, and said to them,"If anyone wishes to be first, he shall be the last of all and the servant of all." Taking a child, he placed it in their midst, and putting his arms around it, he said to them, "Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but the One who sent me."
-Mark 9:30-37

The proud and the humble.

The world and God.

Today’s Gospel brings us to Christ’s second revelation of his passion, death and resurrection (first was in Mark 8:27-38) as per the narrative of St. Mark.

We are reminded of the very core of Christ’s existence, and that is the love of God for us, for all of us, unworthy we may be. 


But the disciples refuse to understand, because they are not comfortable with the idea that Christ will be killed. How could the Messiah be the Messiah if he would just die before overthrowing the powers that be? Its just impossible, and to rise from the dead? Preposterous! 

Their image of a Messiah was a proud ruler who could overthrow a tyrant, perhaps a warlord, they don’t mind, as long as they get what they want in the end, and what do they want?

They want leadership roles, they want to sit on Christ’s right hand or left hand, they want to be somebody. They want people to look up to them and they want to bask at their authority. 

That is the way of the world, and what would be the result of the worldly ways?
“Where do the wars and where do the conflicts among you come from?Is it not from your passions that make war within your members?You covet but do not possess.You kill and envy but you cannot obtain; you fight and wage war.You do not possess because you do not ask.You ask but do not receive, because you ask wrongly,to spend it on your passions.”
That’s according to James, on our first reading.

And he continues:

“The spirit that he has made to dwell in us tends toward jealousy?But he bestows a greater grace; therefore, it says: God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
Today, we remember St. Joachina Vedruna de Mas, founder of the Carmelite Sisters of Charity or the Vedruna Sisters. 

Her spirituality is marked by her love for prayer, self denial, detachment, humility and her love for others.

This she showed in the way she lived her life. One time, she was asked to let go of her position as superior because of her failing health, despite her clarity of mind and her ability to still lead the congregation, she happily let go of it, of her authority, submitting herself to a new and much younger superior.

Humility is God’s way, it is the way to holiness and perfection. But the world’s way is pride. 
Pride begets jealousy, disharmony, war, problems. 

Harmony in a community can only be achieved if we are able to let go of our worldly possessions: of our name, our position,our achievements, our money.

In today’s Gospel, Christ informed his disciples who were fighting over power, “If anyone wishes to be first, he shall be the last of all and the servant of all.”


And St. James reminds us, “Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will exalt you.”

Let me end with this wonderful prayer, commonly attributed to Rafael Cardinal Merry de Val:

Lord Jesus. Meek and humble of heart, Hear me. 
From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the desire of being loved, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, Jesus. 
From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, Jesus. 
That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. 
That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. 
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. 
That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. 
That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. 
That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. 
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

Comments

Popular Posts